The Supreme Court Wednesday allowed an Italian marine, accused of killing two Indian fishermen in 2012, to stay in his country until April 30 for medical treatment. The marine, Massimiliano Latorre, had to return to India by Friday, as per the deadline set by the court.
Latorre, who along with his colleague Salvatore Girone, faces murder charge for killing two fishermen off Kerala coast, but the Italian government has invoked international arbitration, questioning the India’s jurisdiction to try them.
While extending the stay, the bench, led by Justice Anil R Dave, sought to know the status of the proceedings at the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS) and asked the Centre to apprise them of it on April 13.
The bench, also comprising Justices Kurian Joseph and Amitava Roy, inquired from advocate Soli Sorabjee, appearing for the marines, about media reports that Latorre will not be sent back to India by Italy. “These are stray reports,” replied Sorabjee.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
On a request made jointly by the Indian and Italian governments, the apex court had in August 2014 stayed criminal prosecution and all others proceedings against the two Italian marines, owing to the pending arbitration proceedings.
Admitting the case for hearing on points of jurisdiction as well as merit, the ITLOS had earlier asked India and Italy to suspend all proceedings related to the incident so that the issue does not get precipitated any further.