A 42-year-old Sri Lankan national who arrived here by a boat today claiming that he fled his country fearing detention by military there, was arrested for travelling without valid travel documents, police said. The man identified as Arulselvan of Yazhpanam in Sri Lanka reached Arichalmunai near here by a boat this morning.
He told the police that he left his country fearing torture at the hands of military there and that he had come in search of his wife who is lodged in a refugee camp in Erode district, about 360 kms from here.
Arulselvan was picked up by Dhanushkodi police and handed over to ‘Q’ branch police, who arrested him for entering the country without proper travel documents, they said adding the man was being questioned.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen