A special investigation team (SIT) has been formed to take up cases related to chit fund scams in Punjab. The SIT includes DIG (crime) Jaskaran Singh and AIG (crime) Sushil Kumar.
They will arrive in Sangrur on June 14 where investors can air their grievances. In the recent past many cases have emerged alleging that chit fund companies cheated hundreds across the state of their money.
So far, police have lodged FIRs in Ferozepur, Mansa, Bathinda, Barnala, Sangrur etc districts.
SSP Sangrur Pritpal Singh Thind said that SIT has been formed on the orders of DIG Suresh Arora. “As of now, complaints were being heard on individual basis and now SIT will decide on all complaints in a common manner,” he said.
- Punjab: Multi crore chit fund scam accused released on bail
- Punjab chit fund scam: Investors attend first SIT meeting
- The great Bengal swindle: Hundreds of duped investors protest outside CBI office, demand lost money
- SIT wish list: 5,000 sq ft office space, 10 SUVs, laptops...
- Chit fund SIT wish list: 5,000 sqft office, 10 SUVs
- CBI sets up SIT to probe Saradha chit fund scam
The police have arrested MD of Crown chit fund company- Jagjit Singh Sidhu, Peepal Singh- MD of Nicer Green and Nirmal Singh Bhangoo, MD of Pearls group. However not a penny has been recovered from them so far.
Chit fund companies allegedly lured investors with the promise of doubling their money in three-and-a-half years. Many investors claimed that the first few years went well for them and they got what was promised. But in time, certain investors claimed, the scam started unfolding and they lost a lot of money in other processes.