Classes resumed at Hyderabad Central University Monday morning after nearly two weeks of unrest over the suicide of Dalit student Rohith Vemula on January 17.
While the Students Joint Action Committee (JAC), which has been leading the agitation, continued its protest in the form of a relay hunger strike, it did not disrupt classes. The JAC has indefinitely postponed the ‘Chalo Delhi’ programme. The SC/ST teachers also called off their strike. Meanwhile, members of the Ambedkar Yojana Sangham and Samanthara Publication House sat on a one-day fast at the venue.
Acting VC M Periasamy said all faculties functioned normally through the day.
“We have deposited salaries and scholarship funds. There was a meeting of deans today where it was decided that the deans will discuss with respective faculty members the demands put forward by the students. Some of the demands, like removal of V-C Prof P Appa Rao, can only be decided by the HRD Ministry. Recommendations made by various committees after student suicides in the university earlier will be taken up for discussion…The ex-gratia of Rs 8 lakh is being immediately paid to Rohith’s family. Teachers, faculty members and students are also contributing to raise additional amount. The matter of giving employment to a member of Rohith’s family is also being taken up,’’ said Periasamy.
While the semester registration date was extended to February 8, the semester itself has been extended by two weeks. The judicial commission appointed by the Centre is likely to visit the university in the next two days. Officials said that students and teachers will be free to submit affidavits and statements to the commission.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review