The two Hizbul Mujahideen militants killed in an encounter in south Kashmir Thursday had appeared in photographs and videos uploaded on different social networking sites recently.
Police said the slain militants, Irshad Ahmad Sheikh and Adil Khanday, were affiliated to the Hizbul Mujahideen and were active in Tral and Shopian areas on Friday, protests were observed against their killing, with hundreds of villagers participating in their funeral procession.
- Fugitive LeT commander surfaces in video with Hizbul Mujahideen militants
- Kashmir: Friends struggle to connect schoolboy they knew with fidayeen
- Hizbul Mujahideen militant Sabzar Ahmad Bhat killed in Kashmir, youth dies in fresh protests
- Militants killed in Shopian encounter were close associates of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani
- Army officer, 2 Hizb militants killed in Kashmir encounter
- Dreaded Hizbul Mujahideen militant killed in gunbattle
Police said Sheikh and Khanday were close associates of Hizb commander Burhan Wani, considered an expert in using social networking sites for propagating militancy and lure recruits.
Local residents and police said the duo was part of the militant group whose pictures in military fatigues carrying weapons were uploaded on different social networking sites.
Police said the militants were killed at Manzimpora, Shopian, in a joint operation by the police and the Army. However, one of their associates managed to escape.
Police said Khanday, along with his accomplices, was involved in killing of three police personnel in Amshipora, Shopian, in April this year, while Sheikh was involved in militancy-relate d cases.