- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor are gearing up for Taimur Ali Khan’s royal birthday at Pataudi Palace, see photos
- Railways to offer discounts on train tickets, flexi-fare to be revamped: Piyush Goyal
- Assembly elections results 2017 LIVE Updates: They spoke against GST, demonetisation, people of Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh proved them wrong, says PM Modi
A group of Sikhs and the Patidar community supporters have demonstrated outside the UN headquarters here, coinciding with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s speech on Sustainable Development at a special UN summit.
Under the banner of Sikhs for Justice, over 200 Sikhs, alleging human rights violations in Punjab, demanded referendum in 2020 for a separate Khalistan.
The protesters, raising anti-India and anti-Modi slogans, urged the world body to take steps to meet their demand.
- Gujarat assembly elections 2017: Quotas, asmita, and how the battle this year has come full circle
- BJP used Patel youths in 2002, Babu Bajrangi real Hindutva leader, says Hardik Patel
- Reading the Minds: In euphoric crowds at Hardik rallies, many Modi fans who ‘will vote for BJP’
- Mehsana gives BJP the jitters, discontent even in PM Modi's hometown
- To keep Gujarat, Narendra Modi's campaign detours from vikas to caste
- Hardik Patel in Chhota Udepur: Patidars must unite like Dalits
“There is massive violations against minorities, in particular against Christians, Sikhs and Muslims,” SFJ leader Bakhshish Singh Sandhu claimed Friday.
Side by side in a separate enclosure were a few dozen members of the Patidar community from Gujarat who are living in different parts of the country.
“We want justice from police brutalities. As many as 4,000 youths are still in police custody. There has been police brutality against innocent people. So far no action has been taken against the police officials responsible for this,” one Anil Patel claimed.
The protesters were sporting caps of Sardar Patel Group from Gujarat, which is leading the movement for reservations for the Patel community in the State.
Meanwhile, a few enclosures later at the UN headquarters, another group of Patels under the banner of Indian Diamond and Gemstone Industry of New York held a welcome rally for Modi.