Shiv Sena district chief Mukesh Sharma and 19 others were on Friday booked on charges of promoting enmity and public mischief for opposing Bollywood actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui in taking part in a Ramleela at his native place in Budhana, a senior police official said on Friday.
On Friday, Siddiqui had pulled out of the Ramleela programme due to opposition by the right-wing activists following which it was cancelled.
“Police has registered a case against 20 Shiv Sena activists, including district chief Mukesh Sharma, for opposing the film star today,” Senior Superintendent of Police Deepak Kumar said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
They have been booked under IPC sections 153(a)–promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language, and doing acts prejudicial to maintenance of harmony and 505(2)– statements conducing to public mischief.
Sharma is absconding, he added.
The actor was to play Maarich, a rakshasa (demon), because the demon wanted to be killed by the arrows of Ram.
But, the organisers had to cancel the programme after the activists approached them and expressed their displeasure over Nawazuddin’s participation.
The District authorities had said police would provide security to Nawazuddin but he decided to pull out of Ramleela.