Exactly five months from the day Sheetal Thakur and Anjana Thakur gave birth to a boy and a girl – respectively – and went home from Kamla Nehru Hospital, one of Shimla’s oldest medical institutions, with a girl and a boy – respectively – after the newborns got swapped at the hospital, they got back their own infants on Wednesday. The baby exchange, following an advice by the Himachal Pradesh High Court to the two families to resolve the issue mutually on Sheetal’s complaint, took place at Anjana’s home in Khalini, Shimla.
Even though sad at letting go of the infant girl – Sheetal, a nurse at a city hospital, and her schoolteacher husband Anil named her Anmol – she was overjoyed at getting back her child.
Things did not appear as easy for Anjana, 33, who was to part with the infant boy – Anjana and her husband Jatinder named him Nityansh. Inconsolable, she cried throughout the hour-long rituals that preceded the event of exchanging the infants. As Anjana found it tough to gather the courage to hand over Nityansh, Jatinder had to move in and extend a helping hand.
“The emotions of a mother…it is hard for everyone to comprehend. Nityansh is the cutest baby – I have breastfed him, hugged him, cuddled him day and night, and looked after him all these days. Now it seems I can’t live without him…as if my soul is leaving my body,” Anjana said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“Even as I am reunited with my own daughter, for whom I have waited for the last seven years after my first child, a son, was born, it will be very hard for me not to miss Nityansh,” she said.
Anjana – who said the infant girl “will be the Laxmi of our home who has reached us just before Diwali” – also made an offer to Sheetal. Sobbing, she said, “If the other family (Sheetal and Anil) permits, I don’t mind bringing up both kids together. I know it’s not practical but I say this as a mother.”
Sheetal said, “I am unable to realise whether I am happy or sad. I’m happy to reunite with my son after a long (legal and procedural) struggle, but sad to part with a girl child. We have a daughter (three years old), who I had brought up almost like a son. I feel sorry for Anjana – she had given all love and affection to my son.”
Sheetal’s husband Anil Thakur was not present there.
On Thursday, both couples will appear before the High Court bench of Chief Justice Mansoor Ahmed Mir and Justice Sandeep Sharma to report.
According to Sheetal, after a hospital nurse told her that she had given birth to a male child she had filed a complaint with the hospital. The authorities, purportedly after an inquiry, concluded that the babies were not swapped, at which Sheetal filed a petition in High Court, alleging that her male child had been swapped by the hospital staff.
On October 5, the court ordered Shimla’s Superintendent of Police D W Negi to probe her allegations and undertook a DNA profiling to get to the truth.
Two staff nurses were arrested on Tuesday in the case.
SP Negi today said, “We will submit a status report in the court on Thursday. Both parents will also be in court to confirm having resolved the issue.”