RK Pachauri promotion at TERI makes my skin crawl: Sexual harassment ‘victim’

In an open letter, the ‘victim’, a former subordinate colleague of Pachauri at TERI, also said that she intended to take her complaint to “its logical conclusion”. Pachauri denies the allegations.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Updated: February 10, 2016 9:06 am
R K Pachauri, TERI, The Energy and Resources Institute, sexual harrasment case on pachauri, pachauri case TERI executive vice-chairman Dr R K Pachauri. (Express Photo by: Pradip Das)

A day after R K Pachauri was elevated as executive vice-chairman of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), the woman who had pressed sexual harassment charges against him last year said the news of Pachauri’s promotion had made her “flesh crawl”.

Pachauri, who headed TERI as its director-general for about three and a half decades, became executive vice-chairman of the organisation, a post created for him, as a new person, Ajay Mathur, took over as the director general.

Related Article

Mathur had been selected by TERI’s governing council in July last year to succeed Pachauri in the wake of sexual harassment charges and a police complaint against him. Pachauri had to relinquish his position as chairman of the Geneva-based Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) as well. But he has managed to hang in at TERI, even getting himself promoted.

“Shamelessness abounds! The news of promotion of a man who stands booked on charges of sexual harassment at workplace, stalking and criminal intimidation… makes my flesh crawl,” the victim wrote in her letter.

The victim, who had resigned from TERI last year, said many of her friends and colleagues still working with the organisation had been asked to persuade her to withdraw her complaint against Pachauri. “Not a day passed without a message showing up on my mobile, warning me or bringing forth concerns,” she wrote, claiming friends told her that their computer at office was always under watch because “they know that I support you”, or “they were asking me about your family background”.

TERI has denied such allegations in the past. It has also claimed that it has offered all support to the victim.

“For someone in my position who has had zero support from the organisation, when made privy to such developments was most disturbing. What in the world was I to expect and why would I risk more than what is already lost. Not just the governing council but others in TERI have shown where their conscience (if any) leans,” the victim said.

She also described the situation which forced her to quit TERI. “I spoke up and was quarantined from work… not allowed to resume work and no earnings for a long time. No money and a tainted curriculum vitae gave me sleepless nights. It was getting beyond my dignity to be associated with such an organisation and in the best of my interest, I quit. I felt most lighter in my mind and body on quitting TERI…. I deserved better,” she said.

Sourabh
    Feb 9, 2016 at 8:24 pm
    I think in India we have enough talent to replace that person , MR Pachauri's ry comes from the taxes I paid. And I don't want such person get ry from my hard earned money. And for the victim here be brave India is with you
    1. T
      TIHAEwale
      Feb 11, 2016 at 3:05 am
      is it a fact this complainant is not attending court hearings for cross examination ?
      1. X
        Xavier
        Feb 10, 2016 at 9:41 am
        Mere accusation in the media, especially our infamous visual media doesnot pronounce guilt.
          analysisa
          Feb 10, 2016 at 5:00 pm
          A 3rd rate country. A police wont register FIR, and then you have no proof that you even reported this before. And even if the lady did not report then, so what if she reports now. A harment is a harment. Do a lie test, find out from other colleagues, and then move ahead. And for sake of God, make FIR online, and reform the b***** police. The most disgusted organization in India is the police, after the political cl
          1. V
            vikas
            Feb 9, 2016 at 9:22 pm
            Mere accusations in media does not establish guilt.
            1. d
              dv1936
              Feb 10, 2016 at 4:04 am
              The real face of rule of law in hian India.
                K.S.OJHA
                Feb 10, 2016 at 11:53 am
                it looks like a cooked up story of so called victim.Now a days many stories are manufactured by gangs of intellectuals to target a particular group or ideology. The complaint if proved right will take its own course. Promotion can not by withheld for leveling charges by somebody,more so by subordinate staff. There may be conflict of intererst too.
                1. k
                  kuljit Kaur.j
                  Feb 10, 2016 at 10:14 am
                  Ridiculous the message is clear Har a women and get promotion.she has written an open letter to the P.m. WHAT happened TO THAT aYOUNG GIRL IS IN TRAUMA AND TERI is not concerned.Another example of Patriarchy.