Elaborate security arrangements are in place in the city in view of BJP’s two-day national executive meeting beginning Sunday in which Prime Minister Narendra Modi and several Union Cabinet members will participate.
The elite Special Protection Group (SPG), responsible for the Prime Minister’s security, arrived in Allahabad on Thursday and has been busy reviewing security arrangements at the Kayastha Pathshala sports ground where the meeting will be held under a gigantic air-conditioned marquee, and the Parade Ground near the holy Sangam where a public rally will be held on Monday.
- PM Narendra Modi meets China’s Li Keqiang, backs ASEAN on rules-based security architecture
- S K Sinha appointed secretary (security) in Cabinet Secretariat
- Bilaspur: 60 boats to ferry Bhakra Dam oustees to PM Modi’s rally on Tuesday
- PM Modi to address booth-level BJP workers in Varanasi today, stringent security in place
- Tight security arrangements in place for Modi-Abe Varanasi visit
- PM Modi to visit Varanasi, his Lok Sabha constituency, on September 18
The SPG is also reviewing the security arrangements at the Circuit House, where the Prime Minister is likely to spend the intervening night of June 12-13. On its part, Uttar Pradesh Police has chipped in with personnel drawn from more than 20 districts of the state.
According to Inspector General, Allahabad Zone, R K Chaturvedi, 18 SP rank officers, 30 Additional SPs and 50 Circle Officers (DSP rank) will be supervising 2500 constables and 1800 Provincial Armed Constabulary personnel deployed across the city to maintain security and manage traffic.
Bomb disposal squads and sniffer dogs have also been pressed into service while a total of 150 vehicles – including cars, jeeps and SUVs – have been booked for the movement of the VIPs, the IG added.