Scarlett Keeling verdict: Goa court acquits both accused eight years after rape and murder

Keeling's mother Fiona McKeown said she was devastated by the verdict.

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Updated: September 23, 2016 8:29 pm
Scarlett Keeling, Goa, Scarlett murder case, Scarlett Keeling verdict, Scarlet rape case, SCarlett Keeling rape case, Scarlett verdict British teenager Scarlett Keeling.

A Goa court on Friday acquitted both the accused, Samson D’Souza and Placido Carvalho, in the Scarlett Keeling rape and murder case, eight years after the teen was killed in Goa’s Anjuna beach in 2008. Carvalho and Samson had been charged with culpable homicide not amounting to murder, sexual abuse and drugging. In an interview to NDTV, Keeling’s mother Fiona MacKeown said she was shocked and devastated by the verdict and would challenge it in an appeals court.

Her mother, who is presently in Panaji, had expressed hope in the Indian judiciary and showered praise on the CBI for its efficient handling of the matter. “I think they (CBI) have done their best… Everything was so diluted because of the delays…I think they have done everything they can,” she had said before the verdict.

After her daughter’s body was found, Fiona had lived in Anjuna for a couple of weeks trying to piece together the
evidence in the case. She flew down to Goa from Davon (UK) to be present in the court for the final verdict.

What else is making news

Scarlet was allegedly raped and murdered on Anjuna beach in 2008 in which two beach shack workers Samson D’souza and Placido Carvalho have been accused of sexually assaulting her after giving her a cocktail of drugs and leaving her unconscious in the shallow waters. Her body was later found in the early hours of February 19, 2008.

Keeling’s family comes from Bideford in southwest England.