In a major reprieve for the government, the Supreme Court on Thursday allowed use of Aadhaar cards also for MNREGA, Jan Dhan Yojana, pension and provident fund schemes. It had earlier restricted its use to public distribution system and LPG subsidy, compelling the government to rush to the court seeking a permission to use Aadhaar for more services.
A Constitution Bench led by Chief Justice H L Dattu, however, clarified that linking of Aadhaar for providing these services will only be on voluntary basis and no person shall be deprived of any benefit for want of Aadhaar.
- Supreme Court reminds govt: Aadhaar cannot be mandatory
- Chandigarh estate office likely to circumvent SC orders by linking all properties with Aadhaar
- Right to privacy concerns: Aadhaar holder can block his biometric info, Govt tells Supreme Court
- Aadhaar Card row: SC assures decision by tomorrow on larger bench plea
- SC refuses to modify order on use of Aadhaar card
- Complying with order on Aadhaar, Centre assures SC
The Bench modified the August 11 order of a three-judge bench, which at the time of referring the matter to a larger bench, had said Aadhaar can be used only for distribution of food grains, kerosene oil and for LPG subsidy.
The government and its various regulators such as RBI, IRDA, SEBI, TRAI moved the court, requesting it to lift the restraint so that Aadhaar can be used to linking other services as well. The five-judge Constitution Bench was subsequently set up only to hear the plea for modifying the interim order.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016