Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Thursday stressed on a ‘special approach’ in solving problems of the Adivasis and assured them to communicate their demand on ST status to the Centre.
“Adivasi people of Assam need a fillip for socio-cultural and educational development and the government will design a special mechanism for integrating them into government’s agenda of priorities,” Sonowal said.
The Chief Minister said this at a meeting with members of 14 Adivasi bodies under an umbrella organisation ‘Adivasi National Convention Committee’ in Guwahati.
- John Abraham assured of Assam government help in setting up football academy
- NRC updation: Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal urges people to defeat trouble makers
- Assam CM Sonowal 'lacks in courage' to ask for Naga pact content: Congress
- Parliamentary committee discusses flood problem with Assam CM
- Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal stresses the need for quality education
- Centre supports Assam govt's proposal to grant ST status to six communities: Ramdas Athawale
When members of the committee sought his intervention tofacilitate the process of according Scheduled Tribe’ status to the Adivasis, Sonowal said he would convey their demand to the Centre.
“Let me assure you, we have the fullest sensibility and all efforts will be made to sincerely settle all your social,economic, cultural and educational issues including ST status,” Sonowal said.
The Chief Minister also stressed on skill development of Adivasi people and pitched for setting up of a multi-purpose institution for vocational development of Adivasi youths.
Acknowledging the inherent skills of the Adivasi people, Sonowal said given an opportunity, Adivasi youths can scale heights in sports and said the government is considering ways and means for optimum utilisation of their skills.
The umbrella committee of the Adivasis also submitted a memorandum on their demand to the Chief Minister.