Bollywood actor Salman Khan filed a caveat petition in the Supreme Court today asking to be heard when the Maharashtra government’s appeal against his acquittal in the 2002 hit-and-run case comes up for hearing.
The case dates back to September 28, 2002 when the actor’s SUV hit five people sleeping on a pavement in Bandra, Mumbai leading to the death of one person. Four others were injured in the incident.
In May last year, a trial court had found the actor guilty handing him a five-year sentence, but the Bombay High Court overturned the trial court order in December letting the actor walk free. The High Court additionally noted that the probe was conducted in a faulty and careless manner.
Last Friday, the Maharashtra government challenged the acquittal of the actor in the top court through a petition which disputed the earlier High Court finding.
The appeal said evidence of complainant Ravindra Patil, who was with Salman in the Toyota Land Cruiser, was legally tenable and its rejection was wrong. Patil was the actor’s bodyguard who had said Salman was driving drunk and had ignored his warnings. Patil died of tuberculosis in 2007 and when the High Court examined his testimonies, it held the evidence was not admissible under law.
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now