In a tragic incident, a 21-year woman committed suicide in Salem, Tamil Nadu after facing continuous harassment on a social media website and the lack of police action in the matter.
Vinupriya, a B.Sc student began facing harassment on Facebook after she was tagged in a picture which was obscenely morphed.
Her father filed a complaint with the Magudanchavadi police station ten days ago regarding the violation.
The family claims that the police did not take any steps despite several complaints, nor did they begin procedure on blocking or removing the morphed photo.
- Karnataka elections: A complaint against trolls gives voice to a need of women voters
- Delhi: Months after woman’s suicide, father says she was being blackmailed
- Kanpur varsity student found hanging; father says she was harassed, ignored
- Bhopal: Harassed by former schoolmate, 19-year-old kills self
- Tamil Nadu suicide case: Police arrest man who uploaded morphed photo of woman on Facebook
- Tamil Nadu: Woman ends life over morphed photo on Facebook
With the picture still being online and seeing no hope, Vinupriya hanged herself to death in her house when she was alone.
Her body was sent to the Salem General Hospital for post mortem and results are awaited.
After the victim’s family protested in front of the GH against the police, the cops kicked into action and filed a case beginning investigation into the matter.