RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat on Thursday said the new generation needs to be taught to chant slogans hailing mother India, comments that come against the backdrop of a raging row over alleged anti-India sloganeering on the JNU campus.
“Now the time has come when we have to tell the new generation to chant ‘Bharat Mata Ki Jai’ (hail mother India). It should be real, spontaneous and part of all-round development of the youth,” he said.
Bhagwat, without making any direct reference to the JNU controversy, said this is necessary as “some forces” are telling the youth not to say “Bharat Mata Ki Jai”. The Delhi-based Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) hit the headlines in early February when a group of students allegedly raised anti-India slogans during an event organised on the death anniversary of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- Those who consider India their bhogbhumi, refuse to say 'Bharat Mata Ki Jai': RSS
- How 'Bharat Mata ki Jai' dominated news headlines for weeks
- A Mother’s worship: Why some Muslims find it difficult to say ‘Bharat Mata ki jai’
- 'Bharat Mata ki Jai' has no religious connotation, don't understand objections against it: Venkaiah Naidu
- Revoke citizenship, voting rights of those not chanting 'Bharat Mata Ki Jai': Shiv Sena
- Won't chant 'Bharat Mata ki Jai', Owaisi tells Bhagwat; Shiv Sena says go to Pakistan
Police later filed a sedition case in which three students, including the JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar were arrested. Bhagwat was speaking at RSS headquarters in Reshimbagh during an award giving function. On the occasion, the RSS chief presented “Matrashakti” award to social activist Sindhutai Sapkal.