RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat on Thursday said the new generation needs to be taught to chant slogans hailing mother India, comments that come against the backdrop of a raging row over alleged anti-India sloganeering on the JNU campus.
“Now the time has come when we have to tell the new generation to chant ‘Bharat Mata Ki Jai’ (hail mother India). It should be real, spontaneous and part of all-round development of the youth,” he said.
Bhagwat, without making any direct reference to the JNU controversy, said this is necessary as “some forces” are telling the youth not to say “Bharat Mata Ki Jai”. The Delhi-based Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) hit the headlines in early February when a group of students allegedly raised anti-India slogans during an event organised on the death anniversary of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
- Those who consider India their bhogbhumi, refuse to say 'Bharat Mata Ki Jai': RSS
- How 'Bharat Mata ki Jai' dominated news headlines for weeks
- A Mother’s worship: Why some Muslims find it difficult to say ‘Bharat Mata ki jai’
- 'Bharat Mata ki Jai' has no religious connotation, don't understand objections against it: Venkaiah Naidu
- Revoke citizenship, voting rights of those not chanting 'Bharat Mata Ki Jai': Shiv Sena
- Won't chant 'Bharat Mata ki Jai', Owaisi tells Bhagwat; Shiv Sena says go to Pakistan
Police later filed a sedition case in which three students, including the JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar were arrested. Bhagwat was speaking at RSS headquarters in Reshimbagh during an award giving function. On the occasion, the RSS chief presented “Matrashakti” award to social activist Sindhutai Sapkal.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review