The family members of a man and his minor daughter, who were killed in a road accident involving a rashly-driven Haryana roadways bus in 2007 near Kurukshetra, have been awarded a compensation of nearly Rs three crore by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT). MACT Presiding Officer Anoop Kumar Mendiratta directed ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Ltd, with which the offending bus was insured, to pay over Rs 2.90 crore to the wife and younger daughter of victim Raj Kumar Singla.
While calculating the compensation amount, the court decided on Rs 2.86 crore and Rs 3.75 lakh respectively for the deaths of 36-year-old Raj and his elder daughter Saloni.
“The stand taken by respondent no.2 (bus driver) that the accident had been caused to save the motorcyclist does not appear to be supported during the police investigation and neither was any complaint of false implication was filed on behalf of him with any higher authority.
“Since negligence is to be assessed on the touchstone of preponderance of probability, it has been established that the accident was caused due to rash and negligent driving of Haryana Roadways bus by the driver,” the judge said.
As per the petition filed by the victim’s wife Komal, the accident took place on October 21, 2007, when the family was returning to Delhi from Ambala in their Honda City car.
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
It said when the car reached Kurukshetra, it was hit by the rashly driven Haryana Roadways bus which came from the opposite direction. The plea said the bus collided with the car after crossing the divider on the road.
Apart from Raj, his wife and two daughters, aged 12 and seven years, were in the car. While, Raj and Saloni died on the spot, the other two members received serious injuries and were rushed to a hospital.
It said that Raj was working as research and development manager with Nokia Siemens Networks Pvt Ltd at Gurgaon at a package of Rs 27 lakh per annum, besides incentives.
The driver and the Haryana Roadways had denied the allegation that he was driving the bus in a rash and negligent manner.