Actor and BJP leader Roopa Ganguly, who had played the role of the mythological character Draupadi in the hit television series Mahabharat, was on Tuesday nominated to the Rajya Sabha. Ganguly, who had unsuccessfully contested the West Bengal Assembly elections this year on BJP ticket, was nominated by President Pranab Mukherjee to the seat vacated by cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu, who resigned recently following differences with the BJP leadership.
Ganguly, who had joined the BJP in 2015, had lost the West Bengal Assembly elections, earlier this year, to TMC candidate Laxmi Ratan Shukla.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Thanking the BJP leadership for nominating her to the Rajya Sabha, Ganguly said she wants to work for the country and will perform all her duties with utmost sincerity. “I want to work for the development of my country and will perform all my responsibilities with utmost sincerity,” she said.
In April, the government had nominated Subramanian Swamy, Narendra Jadhav, Navjot Singh Sidhu, Suresh Gopi, Swapan Dasgupta and Mary Kom as the new Rajya Sabha members. The government had also nominated Pranav Pandya, head of All World Gayatri Pariwar, as Rajya Sabha member in May but he declined it. In his place, the government then nominated Sambhaji Raje, a descendant of Shivaji, to the Rajya Sabha in June. Sidhu had resigned from the Rajya Sabha in July, about three months after his nomination, and had formed a new front Aawaaz-e-Punjab.
Beside Mahabharat, Ganguly has done several Bengali and Hindi films including Bahar Ane Tak and Saugandh. She was last seen in Ranbir Kapoor starrer Barfi.