Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis is set to conduct a cabinet expansion in the state on July 7 and nine ministers are likely to be inducted of which four would be from BJP, three from Shiv Sena and two from smaller alliance partners Rashtriya Samaj Party and Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatana.
Highly placed sources late Monday revealed, “Fadnavis has decided to induct three ministers from Shiv Sena. It includes one cabinet rank and two minister of state posts.” As per the formula, Sena would get only two posts of MoS.
But the additional cabinet rank is BJP’s way to mend fences with Sena for being ignored in Delhi, sources said.
The additional cabinet rank to Sena is to placate the alliance partner whose demand for a cabinet rank in the Modi government was not conceded.
- Cabinet reshuffle: Shiv Sena pins its hopes on Fadnavis after raw deal from Modi
- BJP holds meet, sets stage for cabinet expansion next week
- Cabinet expansion, reshuffle likely after Fadnavis’s London trip
- Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis likely to go for cabinet expansion soon
- Shiv Sena to join Fadnavis govt; gives up claim to home minister, deputy CM post
- CM Devendra Fadnavis gears for cabinet expansion next week
The Shiv Sena was expecting a cabinet rank in the Narendra Modi government during the ministry expansion on Tuesday. At present it has only one cabinet minister Anant Geete in the Modi government. However, it was conveyed to them that they will have to accept a MoS rank at centre.
The failure to push its demand upset party president Uddhav Thackeray which he had voiced in public. Following his outburst, senior BJP ministers held talks with Sena leader. The chief minister also conveyed that they would be rewarded with a cabinet berth and a good portfolio in Maharashtra. The Sena has accepted the proposal.
At present there are 29 minister in the government. It includes ten ministers from the Sena. The maximum strengthen of the state council of ministers cannot exceed 42.