I&B Ministry on Tuesday termed as “unfair and baseless” news reports about Prasar Bharati CEO Jawhar Sircar planning to quit before his term ends in February next year due to government’s “interference” in the functioning of the public service broadcaster.
Sources in the Ministry also emphasised that the process for appointment of the new CEO has not yet been initiated nor has the matter been discussed.
“Reports about the likely replacement of Prasar Bharati CEO and that the present incumbent, Sircar is upset due to alleged interference by the Government are totally baseless, unfair and purely speculative,” an I&B Ministry source said.
There is a process for selection of the CEO by a committee headed by the Chairman of Rajya Sabha as per the Prasar Bharati Act, the source said. The Committee also includes a nominee each of the President of India and Chairman, Press Council of India, the source added.
“The post of the CEO is not vacant as the present incumbent will be retiring in February, 2017. All the media reports are purely speculative and are uncalled for. The process for appointment of new CEO has not yet been initiated, leave alone discussion about possible successor,” the source said.
Sircar had last week said he was considering quitting and that he had thought “very strongly” about that option.
“I have thought of this option very strongly and have often said so….I am tired and would like to go. I often have said so. However, I cannot run away until the final phase of transparency is assured. Prasar Bharati’s future has to be ensured,” Sircar had said.