MNS President Raj Thackeray is trying to polarise and vitiate the atmosphere to gain brownie points in the run up to the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) polls, alleged Samajwadi Party Maharashtra unit chief Abu Azmi.
His comments come in the backdrop of Thackeray’s statement in which he said reservation based on the caste should be scrapped.
Watch what else is making news
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“By demanding to scrap caste-based reservation system, he has proved that he is against reservation to the Maratha community. He is only trying to further polarise and vitiate the atmosphere to gain brownie points in the run up to the MCGM polls,” he told reporters in Mumbai on Monday.
If the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act is being misused, there could be changes done to it, rather than scrapping it altogether, Azmi said.
“People have downright rejected Raj Thackeray. He knows that his strength is diminishing in the MCGM, like in the Vidhan Sabha. Thus, there is a desperate tactic to stay in the media and let people remember there is a party called the MNS,” he said.
Thackeray, while addressing a gathering in suburban Thane had yesterday, opined that reservation should be given only for the economically backward and that whenever he gets the opportunity to meet the Prime Minister, he would request him to give reservation to those who are economically backward irrespective of the caste.
He had alleged that former Prime Minister V P Singh was the “culprit” who brought in the reservation system and “poisoned” the country.