A shepherd was killed in lightning strike as coastal districts of Saurashtra experienced widespread rainfall on Saturday. Amreli flood control room said that Mulji Bharvad (42), a shepherd, was killed after he was hit by lightning bolt in Paneli village of Morbi district late on Friday evening. While Morbi taluka recorded 30 millimetre rain, Maliya taluka registered 17 mm rainfall.
- Gujarat rains LIVE: Rajkot, Amreli, Porbandar districts continue to experience downpour
- Rain Havoc: 2 more die in Jamnagar, toll now 13
- Heavy rains in Gujarat raise water level in dams and farmers’ hopes
- Rain lashes coastal Saurashtra, shepherd killed in lightening strike
- Light showers cover more of Saurashtra
- Monsoon advances across state,brings relief from heat
Meanwhile, monsoon showers hit coastal Saurashtra on Saturday morning, bringing cheers to farmers and raising the prospect of easing drinking water shortage. Gir Somnath recorded highest rainfall in the region. While Veraval received 57 millimetre rain, Sutrapada taluka registered 80 mm downpour. Talala (31 mm) Kodinar (20 mm) and Una (18 mm) also received good rainfall.
Many talukas of neighbouring Amreli district also experienced first showers of the season. Dhari recorded 36 mm rain, followed by Khambha (27), Savarkundla (19), Jafrabad (14), Rajula (11) and Amreli (10).