Congress needs “fresh ideas” and a “generational change” and vice president Rahul Gandhi has the required skills to steer the party back to power after facing setbacks in state elections since the 2014 Lok Sabha drubbing, party general secretary Digvijaya Singh said today.
“Congress has always promoted young people in the party from the very beginning. The country’s demographic profile has changed. India is a much younger country now. Therefore we need fresh ideas, fresh leadership and new way of the Congress functioning,” Singh told India Today.
However, the final decision of his taking over as the party President will be decided by Sonia Gandhi, he said.
- Impressions, issues: The Congress plenary session takeaways
- Rahul Gandhi’s 2019 battle cry: Like Kauravas vs Pandavas, fight between truth and lies
- Congress plenary session: Top quotes of Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi at Congress plenary session: Nation is divided, only our party can unite it
- Rahul Gandhi sets up panels for Congress plenary session
- Rahul Gandhi elevation Highlights: Congress President slams Modi, says PM taking India back to medieval times
“The timing has to be decided by the Congress President Sonia Gandhi, because ultimately she is the one who has to
decide,” he said.
Asked to list out Rahul’s leadership skills, Singh said, “He has the capacity and experience to lead the party once he
becomes its President.”
“The leadership qualities are there. I strongly feel he has the capacity and experience to lead once he becomes the
President…He has the political sense, he understands the mechanics of politics and he knows the country also,” he said.
Asked about a public perception about Rahul who is referred to as “pappu” (childish), Singh said even Prime
Minister Narendra Modi is called “feku” (braggart).
“There are jokes floating around Modi now. The country calls him feku,” Singh said.