Continuing to head The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) despite being accused of sexual harassment by a colleague who later resigned, R K Pachauri was promoted Monday as its vice-chairman, a post especially created for him to ensure he retains executive control over the organisation.
Pachauri, who has headed TERI for almost three and half decades, vacated the position of director general to finally let Ajay Mathur take charge — the governing council had named Mathur as Pachauri’s successor in July last year.
As vice-chairman, Pachauri will continue to have executive powers, an internal email circulated to TERI employees said. “This is to inform that Dr Ajay Mathur has joined as director general of TERI from today. The Governing Council of TERI has appointed Dr R K Pachauri as the Executive Vice Chairman with immediate effect,” the mail stated.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- RK Pachauri ‘steps away’ from TERI to pursue ‘other interests’
- R K Pachauri holds no position here, can’t exercise any powers: TERI chief
- RK Pachauri promotion at TERI makes my skin crawl: Sexual harassment 'victim'
- New TERI chief Ajay Mathur in next week but RK Pachauri not out
- RK Pachauri digs his heels in, ‘victim’ exits TERI
- Pachauri asked to step down, Ajay Mathur named new TERI chief
Pachauri was accused by a junior colleague of sexual harassment last year. He had gone on leave following the complaint but returned after a few months. His continuance at the top made the complainant resign. In the meanwhile, the governing council named Mathur, then the director general of Bureau of Energy Efficiency, as his successor without saying anything about the future role of Pachauri in the organisation.
The governing council of TERI is chaired by scientist B V Sreekantan, and has Deepak Parekh, Naina Lal Kidwai and Hemendra Kothari among its members.
Pachauri, who had to step down as chairman of the Intergovernmental Panel of Climate Change (IPCC) because of the allegations, is learnt to have asked the governing council to make him vice-chairman with executive powers over administration, finance and human resource.
It was not immediately clear what would be the division of powers between Pachauri and Mathur in the new set-up.