Moving slowly outside Ranjit Avenue Tuesday was 76-year-old Ajit Singh. He was looking for a ride to the Golden Temple after the 50th anniversary celebrations of the Punjabi Suba movement. He participated in the movement but claims was not invited to Tuesday’s event. While quite a few others on the invited list got special buses to the event, Ajit Singh came alone.
“I read about these celebrations in newspaper. I decided to come here and see what they have been doing. I was not aware if special invites were sent. But I have a certificate for my participation in the movement and that helped me clear security checks,” said Ajit, native of Dhollan village near Jagraon.
“Sant Fateh Singh spent some time at our village and I was his disciple. He had included my name on list of marjivras (those on mission to sacrifice their life for a cause). There were five marjivras from our village. Parkash Singh Badal was very young at that time. He used to visit Sant Fateh Singh frequently,” he said.
“Once, Badal was participating in a rally in Delhi in support of Punjabi Suba. The Delhi police were looking to arrest Punjabi leaders before they could reach the venue. So Badal became the driver of the car in which I and a few others were travelling to avoid police attention and reached. There are many interesting stories of those days. I never met him again,” said Ajit Singh.
Ajit Singh was injured in a road accident some time ago and now his crutch is now his companion. He lives with his wife and two daughters.
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
“It was a long struggle and we had faith in Sant Fateh Singh. We were not given any recognition after the movement. I was given this participation certificate just 10 years ago. I gained nothing personally from the movement,” said Ajit Singh. “They tried giving me sweets and a blanket. But I refused. We had not participate movement for these things.”