Politicians in Amritsar have turned Raavan Dahan at Dussehra into a platform to flex their muscles in election year. Cabinet minister Anil Joshi has put up posters welcoming Union finance minister Arun Jaitley to Dussehra function organised by him in his assembly constituency, Amritsar North.
Besides, former SAD MLA Inderbir Singh Bolaria, who is yet to join Congress officially, too, has planned to host Punjab Congress president Capt Amarinder Singh for Dussehra function in his constituency, Amritsar south, from where he is expecting a ticket.
Joshi’s function is minus district and state BJP leadership. Pictures of both — Punjab BJP chief Vijay Sampla and Amritsar BJP chief Rajesh Kumar Honey — are missing from his posters.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
The posters are published by the Dussehra Committee Amritsar North that has been founded by Joshi.
“This is a private function organised by Joshi every year,” said Honey. The state BJP said the party had no role in this. “It is a private function organised by our minister,” said state BJP secretary Vineet Joshi.
“Dussehra function is Joshi’s show of strength. This is to exhibit his proximity with central leadership. Last year, he had invited cabinet minister Raj Vardhan Singh Rathor,” said an Amritsar BJP leader.
Along with Jaitley, Punjab affairs in-charge Prabhat Jha is also featured on the posters.
Till the filing of this report, it was not confirmed if Jaitley or Jha would attend the function.
“Jaitley is in Canada and would reach New Delhi Monday night. He has assured to attend if everything went according to schedule. But his arrival is not confirmed yet,” said a confidante of Joshi.
Likewise, Jha is also unlikely to make it to the function as he is reportedly infected with chikungunya.
Meanwhile, in Congress camp, all ticket aspirants have installed posters to welcome Captain.
The poster installed by Bolaria has, however, raised eyebrows. The former Amritsar South assembly MLA was suspended by the SAD due to his alleged anti-party activities.
It is being said that Amarinder will first attend a press conference where he will induct Bolaria into Congress and then visit the Dussehra function organised by the former SAD MLA.