PUNJAB CONGRESS president Captain Amarinder Singh Wednesday said the party would finalise candidates six months before the Assembly elections scheduled for next year, so that they have enough time to campaign in their areas.
Interestingly, senior leaders of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) had in December last year announced that it would ensure that candidates have ample time to campaign.
Sangrur MP Bhagwant Man had said a first list of candidates would be out by Baisakhi.
- Five key takeaways from Amarinder Singh's press conference
- Jarnail finds it ‘easy’ against Capt Amarinder Singh, Badal, but says not in CM race
- Captain Amarinder Singh as CM face was timed to boost Congress campaign in last lap
- Congress will be routed even if Captain Amarinder Singh is made PM face: Arvind Kejriwal
- Last lap in Punjab, Congress set to name Amarinder as chief ministerial face
- Amarinder Singh on SYL row: Don’t care if Haryana leaders do not campaign for us
Amarinder was speaking at an event organised by Congress MLA Parminder Singh Pinki in Ferozepur as part of its ‘Drug Free Campaign’. International wrestler Khali joined him on the dais.
Amarinder reiterated that AAP was “no competition” and that the Congress’s contest was with the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) only.
“In Jaipur session the Congress had taken a decision to announce candidates well in time so as to give them enough time to campaign. Other parties, such as SAD, announce their candidates early which gives them extra time to work out their strategies,” he said.
On fielding sitting candidates, he said winnability would be the only criterion and that the “prospects of each candidate will be assessed before nomination.”
Khali administered oath to the youth that they would stay away from drugs and ensure that their relatives and friends will also avoid drugs.
Addressing the gathering, he said the energy of the youth should be channelised.