Sangrur police have booked office-bearers of Muslim-Sikh Federation Punjab and an AAP volunteer among others in connection with the violence at SAD MLA Farzana Alam’s house two days ago.
The members who have been booked are the body’s chairman Shahzad Husain, its general secretary Vasim Sheikh and an active member Mohd Munir. AAP volunteer Shabbir Jaura and an industrialist Sattar are also named in the FIR.
- Communal clash in Aurangabad: Day after, victims’ families blame police
- Malerkotla violence: Police begin fresh probe into attack on MLA residence
- Kejriwal accuses SAD-BJP of playing ‘communal politics’
- Quran desecration in Punjab: Is AAP’s Naresh Yadav involved or is it a political trick?
- ‘Restless’ SAD-BJP alliance cooking up conspiracies: AAP MLA
- Malerkotla Quran desecration: Day after violence, Congress, SAD trade charges
A mob of 300-odd people, armed with petrol bombs, crude weapons and iron rods, had torched vehicles outside the SAD MLA’s house after she had refused to meet them over the alleged desecration of the Quran.
All the accused have denied involvement in the episode and said it was being done at the behest of SAD leaders to settle scores. “I was shocked to see my name in the FIR. I was busy in getting The Holy Quran Sharif buried in a graveyard along with many other federation members when a group of people attacked the MLA’s house. I have no idea about the incident. The FIR has been lodged on the complaint of SAD leader Sheeraj Malik,” Vasim Sheikh told The Indian Express.
He added: “We will meet the SSP Sangrur tomorrrow where a memorandum will be given for DGP Punjab for a free and fair probe in this matter. The issue of desecration of Quran has taken a backseat, it should be solved in a time-bound manner.”
Sheikh said: “We have already met the DGP, Law and Order, HS Dhillon, who had assured us of justice and had stated that wrong names will be deleted from FIR.”