THE DAUGHTER of an Akali stalwart, Panth Rattan late Gurcharan Singh Tohra, and a Congress rebel who contested the Khadoor Sahib bypoll when Congress stayed away from the contest after its MLA resigned in protest against the Bargadi desecration are among the 12 candidates of AAP announced in its fifth list Thursday.
Tohra’s daughter Kuldeep Kaur Tohra (63) will contest from Sanaur, a pocket borough of senior vice president of Punjab Congress Lal Singh. Of 12 candidates, nine are Sikhs, three are Hindus and only one is a woman.
Bhupinder Singh Bittu, (50) a confidant of former Punjab Congress president Partap Singh Bajwa, who rebelled against the Congress’s decision to boycott Khadoor Sahib byelection earlier this year, is AAP’s candidate from the predominantly panthic constituency. Bittu, who contested as an Independent, polled 18,000 votes. He joined AAP recently. Khadoor Sahib segment was vacated by the then Congress MLA Ramanjit Singh Sikki to protest against a desecration incident in Bargadi in October last year.
Another former Congress leader, Giriraj Rajora, (59) who contested 2012 elections on Congress ticket from Balluana (reserved) and lost by a narrow margin of over 8,000 votes is AAP’s choice from Balluana. His entry into AAP was facilitated by party MP Bhagwant Mann in July this year. He is a former Resident Commissioner, government of Punjab and former general manager of Punjab Small Industries Corporation (PSIC).
The party has named a Shaurya Chakra winner Capt Bikramjit Singh Pahuwindia (47) as its candidate from the border Khemkaran segment. Another ex-servicemen. Capt Gurbinder Singh Kang (62), a volunteer and farmer and labour wing president of AAP, has been fielded from Bagha Purana.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
A former DTO, Harbhajan Singh (48) , who has been a political science teacher, has been fielded from Jandiala.
An ENT specialist, Dr Sanjeev Kumar Sharma, (63) who has been running an NGO, Vision Punjab, is the party’s nominee from Jalandhar (Central), a sitting councillor and president of Mahajan Sabha, Raj Kumar Mahajan (48) has been fielded in Pathankot. With the fifth list of 12 today, AAP has fielded candidates in 91 segments out of 117 already.