Hundreds of people blocked National Highway (NH)-37 on Friday against the Assam government’s revoking its decision to create a South Kamrup district. Hundreds of people in Kamrup district’s Chhaygaon area took to the streets and blocked movement of all vehicles, including ambulances.
The protests have led to snapping of road communication between Western Assam districts and Guwahati city. Reacting to the agitation, Assam Director General of Police (DGP) Mukesh Sahay appealed to the people not to take the law in their hands.
“If someone takes law in their hands, we are going to deal with strictly,” the DGP said.
The Assam cabinet had recently revoked the decision to create South and East Kamrup districts for lack of infrastructure. The former Congress-led government had announced creation of five districts — South Kamrup, East Kamrup, Charaideo, Biswanath and West Karbi Anglong. However, the three others will be created.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016