President Pranab Mukherjee will inaugurate the renovated portions of 96-year-old Sevashram Hospital and also unveil the statues of Mahatma Gandhi and Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel in the hospital premises in Bharuch on October 23.
This is the second time when the President of the country will be coming to inaugurate the renovated and extended parts of this hospital set up in 1920. The first President, Dr Rajendra Prasad, had inaugurated the hospital when it was refurbished and converted into a general hospital. The hospital is run by the Sevashram Hospital Trust.
Catering to the medical needs of the poor, the hospital has a historical background. Mahatma Gandhi, during his famous Dandi Yatra in 1930 to oppose the salt tax imposed by the British government, had stayed for a night at this hospital.
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
Giving a brief history of the hospital, its trustee Kiran Thakor said that the well-known dental surgeon, Dr Chandulal Desai trained in London, came to meet Mahatma Gandhi in 1920 and expressed his wish to become a ‘sadhu’ by wearing saffron. “Gandhi advised him to choose the difficult path of serving the people that would be better for him and the society. Dr Desai followed the advice of Gandhi ji and this is how this hospital came into existence,” he said.