LAWYERS IN Kanpur on Thursday boycotted work and protested against police “insensitivity” for sending the body of Kanpur (Rural) Judicial Magistrate Pratibha Gautam for postmortem in a tempo.
Gautam was found hanging in her official residence at Circuit House Colony in Cantt on October 9. Initially, her advocate husband, Manu Abhishek Rajan, claimed the death to be a case of suicide, but her parents got an FIR lodged against him. He was later arrested.
Kanpur Police allegedly sent Gautam’s body for postmortem in a tempo. At the hospital too, it reportedly remained unattended for a long time. “Even official paperwork for the purpose was delayed, which further delayed the postmortem,” said a lawyer.
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
“Action should be taken against police officers for their insensitivity in handling the body of the joint magistrate,” said Tarunendu Kumar Bajpai, president of Kanpur Bar Association. He also demanded a probe from someone appointed by the President. Kanpur SSP Shalabh Mathur has already ordered a probe.
The postmortem report, meanwhile, confirmed that Gautam, who was three months pregnant, was assaulted and strangled to death. Police said the couple’s call details and WhatsApp messages revealed that Rajan was putting pressure on her to undergo abortion.