Prasar Bharati CEO Jawhar Sircar has written to Information and Broadcasting Ministry expressing his desire to quit before his term expires next February. Sources said Sircar, who was appointed on the post in 2012 by the UPA-II government, has written a letter to I&B Minister M Venkaiah Naidu in this regard.
“Yes, Prasar Bharati CEO has written a letter saying he wishes to leave early,” a senior official said. When contacted, Sircar refused to comment.
However, sources said he may leave by Diwali, which falls on October 30, after clearing Auction Policy of DD slots.
Watch What Else Is making News
When contacted, Naidu refused to comment on the matter. Earlier, the I&B Ministry had taken exception to some news reports suggesting that Sircar planned to quit prematurely due to government’s “interference” in the functioning of the public broadcaster and termed them as “unfair and baseless”.
Last month, Sircar had indicated he may resign from the post before his tenure ends and mentioned in a Facebook post that he hoped to be “back home before winter”.
The Prasar Bharati CEO, however, had also emphasised he had some important tasks on his mind related to making the processes transparent before he puts in his papers.
Sircar had retired as Secretary Culture in the Union government and was appointed as Prasar Bharati CEO in 2012.