Hearing a bail application of sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, arrested in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, the Bombay High Court on Friday asked how she could be kept in prison when the prosecuting agency had said there was no case against her. Thakur moved the high court after the special court for Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act cases denied her bail on June 28. The division bench of justices N H Patil and P D Naik asked the NIA to submit a compilation of all the previous orders and judgements pertaining to the case.
Thakur was given a clean chit by the NIA earlier this year, but the trial court refused her bail. Her petition in the high court said the lower court had failed to take into consideration the change in circumstances. In November 2015, the special court denied her bail, holding that prima facie there was some evidence against her. But in May, NIA filed a fresh charge sheet (after taking over the case from Maharashtra ATS), which gave a clean chit to Thakur.
Her lawyer, advocate Jai Prakash Mishra, argued on Friday that there was no material evidence against her. NIA’s lawyer also told the high court that the agency had concluded that charges against her could not be substantiated, and the earlier charge sheet filed by ATS was erroneous. “This is an odd case where the prosecution has no objections and yet the accused is denied bail and kept behind the bars,” the bench observed, seeking copies of both the charge sheets and the special court’s orders denying her bail. Next hearing would be on November 16.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Six persons died and 100 were injured in the bomb blast at Malegaon, a predominantly Muslim town in north Maharashtra, on September 29, 2008.