With the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) removing MLA Alka Lamba from the post of party spokesperson, the Chandni Chowk legislator said she respected her party’s decision.
“I am a disciplined party worker and I respect party’s every decision. Even if I have committed a mistake unknowingly, I would surely regret it so that party’s fight against corruption doesn’t face a setback,” Lamba posted on Twitter.
According to reports, Lamba had deviated from the party line and told reporters that Transport Minister Gopal Rai had been ‘relieved’ of the portfolio to make way for a fair probe into the Premium Bus Service scheme.
- Office of Profit case: Setback for Kejriwal as President approves EC recommendation to disqualify 20 AAP MLAs
- Disqualification of 20 AAP MLAs: Death sentence without trial, claims party; What has happened so far
- Disqualification of 20 AAP MLAs: Bypolls, 2019 loom, but AAP worry today is crack in ranks
- Kejriwal trying to divert attention from real issues: BJP on Lamba’s suspension
- Alka Lamba ‘admits’ Kejriwal asked Rai to step down, loses job as AAP spokesperson
- Satyendar Jain gets transport as Gopal Rai ships out to recuperate
“We are here to support Gopal Rai. Give me an example, where allegations are levelled against a minister and the Chief Minister asks that minister to move to Anti Corruption Bureau (ACB) with relevant documents to face the probe,” Lamba had told reporters.
Lamba made the remarks outside the Anti-Corruption Branch’s (ACB’s) office, where she had gone to extend support to Rai. He had gone to the agency in connection with the probe into the scheme.
The action by the AAP government comes at a time when the party has maintained that Rai was stepping down from the post due to ‘health reasons’. Lamba reportedly said Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal wanted to ensure a fair probe into the alleged scam and he had asked Rai to step down.
Rai, who underwent a surgery recently to remove a bullet lodged in his neck, has five other portfolios and was relieved only of the charge of the transport department.