Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is likely to return to his alma mater, the Panjab University, which has offered him a prestigious assignment. Soon after receiving the offer of Jawaharlal Nehru Chair Professorship from the University, Singh had approached the Rajya Sabha Chairman in July seeking advice as to whether accepting the position will attract disqualification under the provisions of Article 102(1)(a) of the Constitution for holding an ‘office of profit’. He is a Rajya Sabha member from Assam.
Now in its report submitted to the Lok Sabha Speaker on October 14, the Joint Committee on Office of Profit has made it clear that if the former Prime Minister choses to accept the offer, it “may not attract the angle of ‘office of profit’ incurring disqualification” as a member of Parliament.
Singh completed his MA (Economics) from the Panjab University and taught there as a professor of Economics between 1963 and 1965.
Vice Chancellor of Chandigarh-based Panjab University had informed Singh that the University Syndicate and Senate has approved his name for the Jawaharlal Nehru Chair Professorship.
The University has offered honorarium and other facilities during his visits. He is free to choose the convenient time and duration for his visits and mode of interaction and for delivery of lectures to the students and faculty.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The University informed the Joint Committee that the person appointed would occupy the Chair for a short duration.
The Chair is appointed on the recommendation by a committee consisting of eminent academicians with due approval of the governing body.
The persons appointed on this Chair is expected to visit the University for a short duration. During such visit, the person is entitled to business class air-fare; car with driver; accommodation in a hotel or university guest house; an honorarium at the rate of Rs 5000 per day during days of visit.
“According to the Panjab University, the person appointed on the Chair is required to interact with the faculty, staff and students of the University, by way of discussions/lectures. This Chair Professorship neither have any administrative responsibility nor any decision making power including that of appointment/removal/influence or power by way of patronage,” the Committee said in its report.