- Anti-Sterlite protests HIGHLIGHTS: Tamil Nadu govt orders suspension of internet services in Tuticorin, adjoining districts
- Kolkata Knight Riders beat Rajasthan Royals by 25 runs, play Sunrisers Hyderabad in the second qualifier
- Major Leetul Gogoi, who tied J-K man to jeep, questioned over woman at hotel
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday paid tribute to former prime minister P V Narasimha Rao on his 95th birth anniversary.
The Prime Minister took to Twitter to extend his greetings.
“Tributes to Shri PV Narasimha Rao on his birth anniversary. He led India at a crucial time & his leadership was both notable & vital,” Prime Minister Modi tweeted.
Tributes to Shri PV Narasimha Rao on his birth anniversary. He led India at a crucial time & his leadership was both notable & vital.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) June 28, 2016
Narasimha Rao served as the prime minister from 1991 to 1996.
His ascendancy to the prime ministership was politically significant as he was the first holder of this office from non-Hindi-speaking south India.
Rao’s term as prime minister was an eventful one in the nation’s history.
- Country may burn, but Modi interested only in becoming PM again: Rahul Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on Ambedkar Jayanti, says Babasaheb gave hope to poorest, marginalised sections
- Demand made for Bharat Ratna for Narasimha Rao on birth anniversary
- PV Narasimha Rao: 10 things you did not know about ‘modern India’s Chanakya’
- Sanjaya Baru in favor of honouring P V Narasimha for Rao Bharat Ratna
- KCR bats for Bharat Ratna to P V Narasimha Rao on his 93rd birth anniversary ; Naidu calls ex-PM a ‘legend’
Besides marking a paradigm shift from the industrialising, mixed economic model of first prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru to a market driven one, his years as the prime minister also saw the emergence of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) as an alternative to the Indian National Congress (INC) which had been governing India for most of its post-independence history.