Pleas for help unheard, woman delivers baby on busy NH24

21-year-old Reshma’s daughter died 2 hours after birth.

Written by Alok Singh | New Delhi | Updated: September 14, 2016 8:22 am
nizamuddin-bridge-759 Nizamuddin bridge, where the baby was born. (Express Photo)

A woman delivered a baby on a busy stretch of NH 24 Tuesday morning, after none of the commuters on the road at that hour stopped to assist her, despite her pleas for help. According to police, by the time they reached the spot, 21-year-old Reshma had already delivered the baby, a girl. Though they urged Reshma and her husband Ravi to take their daughter to the hospital, the couple refused. The baby died two hours later.

Reshma, who lives in a slum cluster at Gaspur colony near Sarai Kale Khan on the bank of Yamuna, went into labour Tuesday morning. Her husband Ravi, who works as a labourer, put her in a rickshaw trolley to take her to the nearest hospital. They didn’t have the money to call an ambulance, said Ravi.

“I took her till the main road in the rickshaw trolley… We tried to hail an auto and tried to flag down vehicles, but none of them stopped to help us… she delivered the baby on the rickshaw trolley,” said Ravi.

Though there were hundreds of vehicles on the road during the morning rush hour, none of the commuters offered any help, said Ravi.
A passer-by informed Traffic Constable Sanjay Kumar, who was on duty nearby, that a woman was screaming for help at one end of the Nizaumuddin bridge.

“I immediately rushed to the spot… I alerted the traffic control room and the police control room, I also called a CATS ambulance,” said Kumar.

He said by the time he reached the spot, Reshma had already delivered the baby.

“I asked them to take the woman and her child to the hospital… I also offered monetary help, but they refused,” added Kumar.
Soon, other policemen and an ambulance also reached the spot, but Ravi said he didn’t want to take the child to the hospital. “She was crying… but she was fine. My mother told me that the baby would be fine and there was no need to take her to the hospital. But she died two hours later,” said Ravi.

However, his neighbour Savita said the baby died as she “didn’t receive treatment in time”. The family has been living in the JJ cluster at Gaspur colony for the last two years.