For Dharmendra Kumar, an inmate of jail number 3 lodged at Tihar Jail on charges of murder, Friday was a day to remember. The 32-year-old had just received a huge round of applause for his portrayal of a murder-accused defence counsel trying to save an Army jawan in ‘Court Martial’, a play directed by fellow inmate and ‘Peepli Live’ co-director Mahmood Farooqui.
“Andar se feelings aa rahi thi (my conscience compelled me to) to bring the truth out. I played the role passionately thinking how I was falsely made an accused and tried to protect a jawan in the play,” said Kumar, an engineer who had a corporate job till he was accused in a murder in Delhi’s Dabri area in 2012.
Farooqui, convicted on charges of raping a 30-year-old American woman and sentenced to seven years in jail, hosted the show. “The play was received well and inmates gathered to watch it. The whole team worked hard and did an excellent job. Despite limited resources, the result was good. Even the jail authorities were helpful,” Farooqui said.
Asked if it was a conscious decision to play the protagonist, Kumar said he got the role after an audition. “The theatre culture became a part of the jail after Farooqui was lodged there. Slowly a team was built and other plays were conducted. After the audition, he told me I was suited for the role. For the last two months we practiced continuously,” Kumar, a resident of Samastipur, Bihar, said.
DG Prison, Mukesh Prasad, applauded the inmates’ hard work. “Mr Farooqui had done a wonderful job and the way they acted, it seemed they were really from the armed forces. I did not think the inmates would be interested, but they sat all through the play. The message of the play —truth prevails every time — also captured everyone’s imagination,” he said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016