Ruling PDP president Mehbooba Mufti is set to be the first woman Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir, succeeding her father Mufti Mohammad Sayeed who passed away on Thursday, with party MLAs unanimously electing her as their leader and writing to Governor N N Vohra in this regard.
A party delegation met the Governor at Raj Bhavan here and handed over the letter which says that the PDP legislators back the 56-year-old Mehbooba to take over as the 13th Chief Minister of the state, a senior PDP leader said.
Read Also: Mufti Mohammad Sayeed – A suave politician
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
He said the selection of Mehbooba, a Lok Sabha member, as the leader of 28-member PDP Legislature party was a unanimous decision.
The party leader, however, did not specify the date or time for her swearing-in.
“It will follow in due course of time as we are still in the process of performing last rites of our beloved leader,” the PDP leader said.
- J&K govt formation: Mehbooba stakes claim, defends delay
- J-K govt formation: PDP, BJP set to meet Vohra today to form govt
- J&K govt deadlock: Mehbooba Mufti likely to call meeting of PDP leaders soon
- PDP leadership under pressure as talks with BJP on J&K govt formation fail
- J&K Gov asks PDP, BJP to make stand clear on govt formation
- BJP says it will go by PDP's choice for J&K CM
Earlier, BJP, which is the coalition partner in the state government, left it to PDP to choose its nominee for the post of Chief Minister.
“As the BJP has left it to the PDP to select its Chief Ministerial nominee, decks seem to have been cleared for Mehbooba to become the first woman chief minister of the state,” the PDP leader said.