Pakistan’s investigation into the Pathankot terror attack has made “no headway” and it will seek more evidence from India to move forward, a source privy to the developments said today, days after Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif promised to make the probe’s findings public soon.
“No headway has been made in the investigation of (the) Pathankot attack so far. The ball is back in India’s court again as we need more evidence to move forward in the probe,” the source told PTI.
The six-member Pakistan government’s team investigating the Pathankot airbase attack has written to the foreign ministry to seek more “leads” from India.
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
“The team has almost completed its investigation into the five cellphone numbers (allegedly used for making calls from Pakistan to India) provided by the Indian government. No further leads were found from these numbers because they were unregistered and had fake identities,” the source said, adding that the probe is not heading further.
“The team needs more evidence. We have written to the government to speak to India and apprise it of the situation and demand more evidence to move forward in the investigation here,” he said.
India had given “specific and actionable information” to Pakistan soon after the January 2 attack.
Asked about the fate of the terror attack suspects, including banned Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) chief Masood Azhar, the source said, “let first more evidence come from India”.
Prime Minister Sharif had formed the six-member investigation team headed by Additional Inspector General of Punjab’s Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) Rai Tahir in the second week of January to probe the Indian government’s assertion that JeM was behind the Pathankot attack. The team has so far held two meetings.
Sharif told reporters here on Saturday that “the investigation into the Pathankot incident is underway and we will make its findings public soon.”
“Whatever facts come out, we will bring them forth before everyone,” he had said.
Law-enforcement agencies have so far not produced any of the “suspects” arrested in connection with the Pathankot attack before a court.
The government has not disclosed the number of suspects detained. However, reports said 31 JeM suspects have been taken into custody.
Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah had said last month that Azhar had been taken into “protective custody” along with some of his “accomplices”. P