In a pre-dawn attack, a group of heavily-armed Pakistani terrorists, suspected to belong to Jaish-e-Mohammed outfit, struck at an Air Force base in Pathankot in Punjab, leading to a fierce gunbattle in which three security personnel were killed along with four attackers.
The intrusion by a yet undetermined number of terrorists into the Air Force base at Pathankot began around 3 am on Saturday, a senior military official said.
The base is now being combed for any remaining intruders. ‘We are in the process of searching and sanitising the base by identifying all our personnel present at the base,’ the official said.
The intrusion was detected almost as it happened, the official said, and the first terrorist was killed as he was climbing over the 10 meter high wall that also has razor wire on it.
“But we don’t know if they all entered over the wall or through the gate. They could have had multiple entry points. We are in the process of investigating that,” the official said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The intruders who managed to enter were engaged by security forces in the area between the main gate and the entrance to the technical area at the border air base.
This portion of the air base comprises some administrative office buildings, canteens, housing, the officers’ mess, airmen’s mess.
‘We have bits and pieces of how they gained entry, we are putting it together and we will have a clearer picture soon,’ the official said.
(With PTI inputs)