In a pre-dawn attack, a group of heavily-armed Pakistani terrorists, suspected to belong to Jaish-e-Mohammed outfit, struck at an Air Force base in Pathankot in Punjab, leading to a fierce gunbattle in which three security personnel were killed along with four attackers.
The intrusion by a yet undetermined number of terrorists into the Air Force base at Pathankot began around 3 am on Saturday, a senior military official said.
The base is now being combed for any remaining intruders. ‘We are in the process of searching and sanitising the base by identifying all our personnel present at the base,’ the official said.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
The intrusion was detected almost as it happened, the official said, and the first terrorist was killed as he was climbing over the 10 meter high wall that also has razor wire on it.
“But we don’t know if they all entered over the wall or through the gate. They could have had multiple entry points. We are in the process of investigating that,” the official said.
The intruders who managed to enter were engaged by security forces in the area between the main gate and the entrance to the technical area at the border air base.
This portion of the air base comprises some administrative office buildings, canteens, housing, the officers’ mess, airmen’s mess.
‘We have bits and pieces of how they gained entry, we are putting it together and we will have a clearer picture soon,’ the official said.
(With PTI inputs)