Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu on Sunday expressed his happiness over a farmer getting Padma Shri award, claiming that it happened for the first time.
“Congratulations to all Padma awardees… Very happy that for the first time a Padma award is bestowed on a farmer, Shri Subhash Palekar”, Naidu said on Twitter.
Congratulations to all Padma Awardees… Very happy that for the first time a Padma award is bestowed on a farmer,”Shri Subhash Palekar”…
— M Venkaiah Naidu (@MVenkaiahNaidu) January 25, 2016
Naidu’s highlighting that a farmer has been given Padma Shri comes in the backdrop of Narendra Modi government having been repeatedly targetted by the Opposition over its alleged “anti farmer” stance. Palekar, who has been given the award in farming category, hails from Maharashtra.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Born in Belora village of drought prone Vidarbha region of Maharashtra, Palekar, a graduate in Agriculture, is acclaimed for his campaign for zero budget natural farming.
Having worked with well-known environmentalists and global farming experts, Palekar has been training farmers about zero budget natural farming throughout India through workshops, seminars, his books in Marathi, Hindi, English, Kannada, Telugu, Tamil languages and by models farms established throughout India.