Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru’s son scores over 95% in board exam

Ghalib's performance in the examinations became a talking point on the social media with separatists lauding the boy "for excelling despite hardships".

Written by Mir Ehsan | Srinagar | Updated: January 12, 2016 3:19 am
afzal guru, afzal guru son, ghalib guru, jammu kashmir boards, j&k 10th boards, 10th board results, kashmir board results, kashmir 10th results, kashmir toppers, kashmir board toppers, kashmir news, india news File photo of Afzal Guru’s son Ghalib Guru, who scored an impressive 95 percent in Jammu and Kashmir boards. (Express Archive)

Galib Afzal Guru, son of deceased terrorist Afzal Guru, has scored more than 95 per cent marks in the Jammu and Kashmir Board of School examinations, securing 19th position in the Valley. The results were declared on Sunday evening. Around 29,162 students appeared in the Matric examinations and 14,716 have cleared the test.

A class X student of Shah Rasool Memorial School, Sopore, Galib scored 474 marks out of 500. He credited his success in the examination to his family and school teachers.

“The credit of my success goes to my family who always strived hard for me as well as my teachers who guided me properly,’’ said Galib, who is now planning to continue his education in Baramulla where his grandparents live.

Related Article

“Initially, I used to study for two hours daily, but when the examination dates were announced, I dedicated more time towards my studies. Today, my hard work has paid good results,’’ he said.

Galib, who is also a cricket buff, said that he is interested in pursuing medicine.

“I want to pursue Medical Education and want to become a doctor. It is the dream of my parents and family that I become a doctor and I will try to fulfill it,’” he said.

Galib’s relative Abdul Ahad Guru was Valley’s top cardiologist and Afzal Guru was also pursuing Medical Education before he left the course midway.

Galib who is currently living with his grandparents at Azad Ganj Baramulla said that he is planning to seek admission either in Saint Joseph’s Higher Secondary school or Public School, reputed institutions of North Kashmir.

Galib’s mother, Tabassum who played a pivotal role in the up bringing of Galib as a lone parent termed Galib’s achievement a pride moment for the entire family, however, she said that her son could have bagged more marks. “I am not happy over the marks, I think my son could have a potential to secure more marks as he is a brilliant student,’’ she said.

Tabassum said that on this occasion, Galib misses his father Afzal Guru. “He (Galib) had a close attachment with his father. Had he (Afzal) been alive we could have celebrated this moment. For every parent, achievement of their children is a great moment in the life,” she siad. Galib was only two years old when Afzal Guru was arrested.

Galib was only two years old when Afzal Guru was arrested. He was executed in 2013 for his role in the Parliament attack case.

1. B
    BAFPALBIR
    Jan 11, 2016 at 5:37 pm
    first of all change the year of execution of afzal guru.. errorneously written as 2013
    1. B
      BAFPALBIR
      Jan 11, 2016 at 5:39 pm
      sorry misquoted, its 2013 indeed
      1. B
        Bisi Samosa
        Jan 11, 2016 at 5:51 pm
        Ya, Indian Express, make the boy more uncomfortable than he already is by reporting his performance by taking his infamous dad's name. Very mature (sarcastic)...Poor Journalistic ethics...
        1. V
          verbena
          Jan 11, 2016 at 11:42 am
          Good for him!
          1. i
            issac Pakkiasamy,Tamil
            Jan 11, 2016 at 11:30 am
            Aflzal Guru was a terrorist,but need not be an ,probably more intelligent,but misdirected.This new is stupid pority.After all there are sons who are more intelligent than fathers,and need not be a news.Journalism must set standards.Leave this boy alone.May be he become the chief of staff in military.
            1. J
              Jagdish Maratha
              Jan 11, 2016 at 10:04 am
              god bless the child..!! I strongly feel Afzal Guru could be given life imprisonment and could have been kept alive if politics would not be a player.
                Mango man
                Jan 11, 2016 at 7:54 am
                No doubt... Indian Express is part of the Anti National News Trader-Pressure brigade, who find these deable news items. Have you ever tried to find where are the children of the Mumbai attack Shahids - Like Tukaram or for that matter the children of those killed by the Jihadi's? No that's not worthy of news for you. Indian democracy and Freedom of expression has been misused by the Media most in this nation and this must stop. Today Media is the No.1 enemy of the nation and they have done more harm than good to this nation and its people. You need to be kicked where its hurts you most.
                1. B
                  Baba
                  Jan 11, 2016 at 10:15 am
                  Bhai no doubt that more than 40% or more in ISIS are brilliant minds with no military background now fighting world powers.....