KADER KHAN, the prime accused in the Kolkata Park Street rape case who was arrested from Greater Noida early Friday, is the youngest of seven brothers. He lived in a five-storey building at 5, North Range, off New Park Street.
On February 5, 2012 a gang of men, including Kader, had raped Suzette Jordan at gunpoint. When she had tried to get out of the car, which was autolocked, Kader had “beaten her up” and “shoved a gun” into her mouth, Jordan had said in an interview to The Indian Express before her death.
Watch What Else is Making news
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Kader was accused of holding a gun to Jordan’s mouth, while encouraging others — including his brother Naser — to rape her. Jordan had said, “Even after he raped me, he beat me as if there were an age-old vendetta between us… He kept asking his friends to rape me. He had the power. And that made him feel good about himself.”
Kader and the other co-accused were known as the “kings of brawls” in the nightclub where they were partying prior to the incident. A DJ, who continues to work at the club, said: “They no longer come here. But at the time, they would come, spend a lot of money, get completely drunk and then get into fights. They would regularly get banned from the nightclub and then find their way back in because of their contacts and money power.”
While the other three in the group — Ruman Khan, Sumit Bajaj and Naser — were arrested soon after the incident, Kader along with co-accused Ali Khan alias Johnny had been absconding until their arrest on Thursday.
Naser was charged with rape and sent to jail within weeks of the incident. At the time, Kader was set to tie the knot with Tollywood actor Nusrat Jahan. However, soon after the incident, Jahan told the media that they had “split” a few months ago.
Kader, a known face in “Page 3” parties in Kolkata, had not used a cellphone for the last four years. “He went underground. He was not directly in touch with his family. They used to communicate through a third party, say relative or friend. Kader and Ali have even changed their looks,” said DC (South) Murlidhar Sharma.
Kader, who lived a lavish life, had reportedly been travelling from one city to another in sleeper class on trains. Sources said Kader recently had sent a message on social media to a friend using someone else’s cellphone.
“They had strategically planned to stay away from public life… They lived a normal life but were never found at any public place in any of the cities they had stayed in,” said Sharma.
Arrested from the paying guest accommodation of Kader’s nephew Faisal, police said even neighbours did not know the names of the two men. “They were introduced as Faizal’s mamus,” said a police officer. Asked who had been financing them, an officer said: “They were not using ATMs… We are sure they were financed by family members through relatives… We are investigating these points. If we find anyone supporting them and thereby making it tough for the police to trace them, a case will be registered against them.”