The communally sensitive old city area of Vadodara witnessed a daylight firing as two rival groups belonging to the same community came face-to-face over a lingering fight between them. The Vadodara police are investigating the case, in which a 24-year-old was injured after cheating the bullets by a whisker.
The incident occurred on Saturday afternoon when two rival groups attacked each other in Lalwada area. According to the police, in a case of personal rivalry, one group launched a premeditated attack on 24-year-old Mohammed Wasim Shaikh, who was passing by the area on his way to work. Police said that seven accused, including Salim Golawala’s sons Salman and Siddiq, brother Talib and an accomplice Naeem, were lying in wait for Wasim, armed with sharp weapons to avenge a fight that had occurred between the groups on October 12.
The accused cornered Wasim and assaulted him, inflicting injuries on his eye, skull and forehead. When Wasim shouted out for help, one of the accused pulled out his country revolver and fired two rounds at Wasim, misfiring the shot to hit nearby residential properties, instead. Police units rushed to the site to calm the situation but the accused escaped from the spot, except one, who was captured by the SRPF unit that arrived at the spot from a nearby watch point. The accused was handed over to the Wadi police station, which is investigating the case.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
An officer of Wadi police said that the police had recovered empty bullet shells from the spot. Following the attack on Wasim, his group of supporters attacked a pan shop owned by a relative of Golawala. Locals helped reach Wasim to a nearby hospital for treatment of his injuries.
Commissioner of Police Manoj Shashidhar, who took charge on Friday, said, “It was a personal rivalry between two groups, but we cannot call it a gang war. The probe is on and the officers are investigating the crime scene. The accused will be arrested soon.”