A man was arrested in Odisha’s Jajpur district on Friday for allegedly branding his five-year-old grand-daughter with a hot iron rod in a bid to “control” her.
Dilip Bindhani of Padmapur village has been booked under Section 341 and 326 of IPC for allegedly branding the cheeks of his granddaughter.
- ‘BJP man’ held under POCSO Act in Gadchiroli
- Madhya Pradesh: Man flings son to death after quarrel with wife
- Father finds girl talking on phone, strangles her
- Gonda man arrested ‘for threatening rape survivor’s sister’
- Mohali: Couple booked for bashing neighbour following complaint over pet dog
- NHRC tells TN police to lodge case in cheek-piercing incident
Police said Bindhani, a labourer, had allegedly branded the child three days ago on both her cheeks. The child, who was left with Bindhani a year ago after her parents divorced, was kept locked inside a room for the past three days.
On Thursday, some neighbours came to their place on Thursday to play Holi. “We insisted on meeting the child. When Bindhani brought her out, we saw that her cheeks bore marks and were infected,” said a neighbour.
Dr B K Das of Jajpur community health centre said the infection had spread to the neck. “But, she will be fine after treatment,” added Das.