A man was arrested in Odisha’s Jajpur district on Friday for allegedly branding his five-year-old grand-daughter with a hot iron rod in a bid to “control” her.
Dilip Bindhani of Padmapur village has been booked under Section 341 and 326 of IPC for allegedly branding the cheeks of his granddaughter.
- Saharanpur: Accused of attempt to molest, man assaulted
- Kolkata man arrested for ‘raping’ mentally-ill minor stepdaughter
- New charges added against Thane woman who beat up students for ‘disturbing sleep’
- Rajasthan video: Teacher booked for assaulting 82-yr-old bedridden mother
- Sexually assaulted for two years, 15-year-old rescued
- Twelve years after Odisha protest, severed palms await burial
Police said Bindhani, a labourer, had allegedly branded the child three days ago on both her cheeks. The child, who was left with Bindhani a year ago after her parents divorced, was kept locked inside a room for the past three days.
On Thursday, some neighbours came to their place on Thursday to play Holi. “We insisted on meeting the child. When Bindhani brought her out, we saw that her cheeks bore marks and were infected,” said a neighbour.
Dr B K Das of Jajpur community health centre said the infection had spread to the neck. “But, she will be fine after treatment,” added Das.