A local court on Thursday awarded 20 years of rigorous imprisonment each to four persons for kidnapping and raping a minor girl, who committed suicide later in Ganjam district. Sessions court judge Malaya Ranjan Das, who is also the designated district judge for the trial of the cases charged under Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, also slapped a fine of Rs 15,000 on each of the convicted persons.
They would undergo another one-and half month RI if they fail to pay the penalty amount. The incident took place at an isolated area under Goshaninuagaon police station limit here in 2013. The girl, a student of Class X, later committed suicide by hanging herself about one year after the incident due to social stigma.
According to prosecution, Pintu, one of the convicted kidnapped the girl from near Santoshi Maa temple on June 17, 2013, while she was going to tuition. The other three persons who were waiting near an under-constructed house helped Pintu. All of them raped the girl. They also threatened the girl’s brother of dire consequences if the matter was reported to police.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The girl committed suicide on July 15, 2013. A suicide note was recovered from the house, where she had mentioned the reason behind her action. Besides rape, the court also found them guilty on abetment to suicide.