This Children’s Day will be special for 14-year-old Shubhendu Kumar Sahu as he will walk down the ramparts of Rashtrapati Bhawan before being presented with a prestigious award by President Pranab Mukherjee. Sahu, a Class VIII student of Somapur Project Upper Primary School in Ganjam district’s Hinjili, has been selected for the National Child Award for ‘Exceptional Achievement’. Sahu had taken part in several extra-curricular activities and received a number of awards at both state and national-level competitions.
Watch What Else Is Making News
While one of his science projects, ‘Gift for Farmers’, made it to the zonal-level science exhibition held in Kolkata, he had also ranked first at the state-level creative writing competition organised in Bhubaneswar last year. He also showcased his talent in many drawing competitions and debates.
Developed by Sahu, ‘Gift for Farmers’, is an innovative device which helps in sowing, tilling of soil, sprinkling of pesticides, cutting and processing of the paddy crops.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
“I am feeling proud since receiving the news on Monday afternoon,” Shubhendu said. His father also shared his joy. “We are very much happy for such a rare achievement of our son,” said Subhendu’s father, Shantanu Kumar Sahu.
“We are proud for Subhendu to be selected for such an award from the President,” said district education officer (DEO) Sanatan Panda. Hinjili block education officer (BEO) RL Nayak went to the school to interact with Subhendu.
The National Child Award for Exceptional Achievement recognises children, in the age group of 4 to 15 years, with exceptional abilities and who have achieved outstanding status in various fields including academics, arts, culture and sports. One gold medal and 35 silver medals are given to the children every year for their outstanding achievement.
“The award carries cash prize of Rs 10,000, book vouchers worth Rs 3,000, a silver medal, a certificate and a citation,” a letter received by Sahu from the Ministry of Woman and Child Development said.