With both BJP and PDP failing to formally intimate the Governor regarding government formation in Jammu and Kashmir in the wake of the death of CM Mufti Mohammad Sayeed, the state came under Governor’s rule on Saturday evening. Governor N N Vohra issued a proclamation in this regard after receiving concurrence from the President.
A Raj Bhavan spokesperson stated: “Consequent to the sudden passing away of CM Mufti Mohammad Sayeed on January 7, 2016, the process to form government had commenced and intimations were still awaited about the respective positions of PDP and BJP. Considering the likelihood of some more time being taken before government can be formed, with the approval of the President of India, Governor’s Rule has been imposed in the State with effect from January 8, 2016, under Section 92(1) of the Constitution of Jammu and Kashmir.”
On Friday, the Governor had written separate letters to PDP president Mehbooba Mufti and BJP state president Sat Sharma, asking them their respective positions on government formation. PDP leaders said the party is in mourning and a decision on government formation could only be taken after Sunday. BJP sources said they had conveyed to Vohra that the party will intimate its position once it receives a formal request from PDP, seeking support for its new leader.
Earlier, opposition parties National Conference, Congress and Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party expressed concern over the delay in the swearing-in of the new CM.
NC working president and former CM Omar Abdullah tweeted: “More than 48 hrs after Mufti Sb’s demise, no formal declaration of Governor rule & no Govt in place so now I have to ask who is governing?”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Congress president Sonia Gandhi will visit Kashmir Sunday to express her condolences. The state party leadership also held a meeting in Srinagar Friday, where leaders paid glowing tributes to Mufti. After the meeting, Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha and former J&K CM Ghulam Nabi Azad travelled to Bijbhera to offer prayers at Sayeed’s grave.
Meanwhile, Langate MLA Engineer Rashid on Saturday asked the PDP leadership to reconsider its ties with the BJP.
“The party must use the opportunity of government formation to rectify the mistake of entering into an alliance with BJP,’’ he said. “Let NC, Congress and others offer unconditional but firm and sincere support to Mehbooba ji and make a public commitment that they all will ensure that the dispensation so formed lasts for the full term,” he added.